VSO Nigeria is working with partners like Small Medium Enterprise Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN) to contribute in addressing the issues of youth unemployment in Nigeria. SMEDAN is government agency that coordinates small medium businesses in Nigeria. The government agency promotes the development of the micro, small and medium enterprises sector of the Nigeria Economy. As agribusiness development adviser you will help develop and implement small and medium scale agribusiness initiatives and policies which contribute to the improvement of the livelihoods of youths in Nigeria.
What does the role involve?
- Develop a comprehensive agro-enterprise development programme that contributes to the federal government’s Agriculture Transformation Agenda (ATA) goals and objectives
- Coordinate agricultural value chains, project acquisition and the development of proposals for external funding and lead the discussions and negotiations with state government, potential donors and development partners
- Organize and facilitate agricultural entrepreneurship training programs for micro, small and medium enterprises in the agriculture sector
- Advise on documentation of the knowledge developed and the experiences/achieved results in SMEDAN’s agro-enterprise development initiatives
- Advise on participatory development of up to date information about market developments in selected agriculture value chains and undertake on-going analysis of trends in these value chains
- Degree in Business Administration, Agricultural Economics or Marketing or any other relevant degree
- Knowledge of market development approaches, business development, feasibility studies, business planning and policies, project management, small-scale enterprise/ rural enterprise development and financial management
- You should heave experience of working with young people in developing small or medium scale agribusinesses
- Experience in value chain development and analysis
- Coaching and mentoring of young entrepreneurs
- It would be desirable for you to have experience of Microsoft Project, project data gathering, planning and review and a good track record of proposal development
- You should be prepared to work with limited resources and in a challenging environment
You will be based in Abuja, which is one of the best purpose-built city in Africa, the city is well planned with availability of good road networks, constant electricity, water supply, health care facilities and low crime rate. There are departmental stores, supermarket and shopping malls to buy varieties of things ranging from clothes, groceries, and electronics. Western style supermarkets are also available in Abuja. VSO Nigeria has a good internet facility and there are cyber cafes in Abuja where the volunteer can use the internet at an affordable price. There are four Global Satellite Mobile (G.S.M) service providers in Nigeria. The cost of purchasing sim card is affordable and also the rate of making local and international calls is reasonable.
We’ll ask you to commit to 12 months to make a sustainable contribution to our development goals. In return, we’ll give you comprehensive financial, personal and professional support. We’ll provide you with extensive training before your placement and our financial package includes a living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more. When you return to your home country, we’ll help you to resettle and many of our returned volunteers stay involved with us long after their placement ends.