Bay of Bengal Sea Turtle Program; a partnership based initiative designed by Save Our Sea (SOS), is facilitating locally led in-situ nest protection of endangered sea turtles in the Saint Martin’s Island of Bangladesh. St. Martin's is the country's only island with coral colonies and sea grass bed. Nesting sites in Saint Martin’s Island need your volunteer support as ‘Field Assistant’.
If you are a undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate from any discipline in the field of earth, ocean and environmental sciences, biological sciences, mass communication and social sciences, and want to have an wonderful week working with local communities to protect endangered sea turtles. You will be acknowledged in the research outputs.
Applications are now invited for voluntary Field Assistant positions in the year 2015-2016. Minimum volunteer period is 1 week. The programs runs from October to April every year.
Your Responsibility As Volunteer Field Assistant
- Supporting local communities, local government institutions and Community Based Organizations (CBOs) for in-situ nest protection of sea turtles.
- Taking part in social survey on turtle egg and meat trade, and related consumer behavior.
- Assisting research on temperature fluctuation in relocated and natural nests to understand the potential sex ratio change.
- Assisting research on the hatching survival rate, deformity, strength and bacterial and fungal infestation rate etc. in both relocated and in-situ nests.
- Engaging tourism companies in turtle conservation and fund raising.