Wildlife Course in Botswana or South Africa
An EcoQuest is an opportunity to experience the unique natural landscape of Southern Africa at first hand in a short space of time. You will learn the fundamental aspects of a ranger’s typical training. This course is particularly suitable for anyone who wants to learn more about nature as a habitat. This provides an introduction to the ranger course for anybody who is interested in working in the field.
Professionally trained course leaders will guide and support you throughout your time in Africa. They will draw on their wealth of experience to provide you with fascinating insights into life in the wild. You and your group will go on trips through the fascinating landscape twice a day for a close-up encounter of wild animals. The excursions will teach you how to orientate yourself in a natural environment in addition to providing valuable information about native animals and their habits. Delve into the breathtaking landscape of South Africa and Botswana, and unleash your passion for adventure. You will return to Johannesburg once the course is over.
Your accommodation for the duration of the EcoQuest course in Southern Africa will be in either stilt houses (Makuleke) or two-man tents (Mashatu). When staying in Makuleke you will have access to your own bathroom attached to the stilt house. Shared bathrooms are available in Mashatu. All camps have a large common room for training, eating together and spending evenings with the group. The camps are not fenced in, and tourists have no access to the site. This gives you a special connection to the natural environment and allows you to enjoy the remoteness of your location.
You will be provided with an early morning snack, a hearty brunch, a light midday meal and a hot meal in the evening. Tea, coffee and tap water are available throughout the day, and fruit juice is also provided at mealtimes. The camp is not connected to the electricity grid, but gets the power that it needs from generators.
- Age limit: Minimum age 18 years
- Start date:
2018 — 7 days: 29.10., 14.11., 22.11., 10.12. | 14 days: 16.07., 18.08., 01.11. (the latter one: 2x)
2019 — 7 days: 08.03., 31.05., 24.08., 16.12. | 14 days: 10.04., 15.06., 28.07., 03.08., 03.11.
- Duration: 1 or 2 weeks
- Project location: Mashatu/Botswana or Makuleke/South Africa
- Accommodation: Permanent two-man tents with bathroom
- Language requirements: English (a good level of school English is sufficient)
- Suitable for: volunteer work, sabbatical, internship
- Certification: upon request
- 7 days: 1.200 EUR | 14 days: 2.100 EUR
(Fees depend on the exchange rate of the South African Rand or US dollar)
- Placement in the course
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Assistance with selecting travel insurance
- Assistance with booking flights
- Pre-departure information pack
- Accommodation during the course
- All meals during the course
- Drinking water
- Transport between campsites
- Excursions, game drives, game walks
- Classroom hours
- English-speaking support by long-term experienced staff
- 24/7-support throughout the project