Jump aboard the Otionos Research Boat (ORB) and join marine biologist Lee Munson in this amazing unforgettable adventure and good cause.
Want to know more about Humpback Whales on their breeding grounds? As a volunteer with Otionos you will gain an incredible insight into these animals. Taking part in our ongoing research, volunteers will actively participate in whale research trips, with an aim to gather behavioural response data, identification photos, audio records, and breeding data that is critical for the management and conservation of these animals.
5 days a week are spent at sea, tracking for a spout, a breach, or a fin slap. At this point the survey begins and we take up our research positions – the success is in the approach, something we have refined over four seasons. A singing male, competitive groups, or mothers and calves can all be seen on the Turks Bank. The data we collect will support DEMA in managing this resource for sustainable use in the future.
Price Includes: (Otionos is a non-profit company)
* Lodging in our oceanfront volunteer house in the Turks and Caicos
* Drinks and snacks while on ORB
* 5 full day whale research trips per week, stopping at beautiful secluded islands for lunch time 🙂
* Trips to Grand Turk for exploration and grocery shopping
* Research training and Otionos certification
* Pick up and Drop off at Grand Turk airport at beginning and end of the stay.