About the hospital: Nixon Memorial Hospital is a mission hospital in rural eastern Sierra Leone, approximately 330km from Freetown. It serves an estimated population of 30,000 providing daily outpatient and 24 hour inpatient care across 5 wards including paediatrics and maternity. It has a functioning operating theatre and laboratory offering basic investigations. It continues on a programme of rehabilitation and progress after its destruction during the Sierra Leone civil conflict which ended in 2002.
The role will enable the successful candidate to:
• Gain exposure to and develop skills in managing common tropical diseases.
• Improve clinical skills and decision making in a low resource setting with minimal laboratory investigations or imaging support.
• Gain leadership skills and management skills through working with a multi-disciplinary team of nurses, midwives and students and being part of the hospital’s management team, overseeing the day to day running of the hospital and its strategic development.
• Develop teaching skills and experience through working alongside the attached Nixon Memorial Nursing School.
• Develop clinical improvement processes, protocols and guidelines in their area of interest.
• Play a role in guiding and assisting the re-development of the hospital to meet the needs of its community.
A minimum of 2 years post-graduate medical experience is required with experience in obstetrics, paediatrics and emergency medicine desirable as is some experience of working in a low resource setting or an insight into tropical medicine.