As a volunteer, you can gain experience in a range of different departments within the hospital, such as: Maternity, Emergency, Pediatric, Integral Attention & Prevention for HIV, Tuberculosis, Diabetic and Uterine, Cancer as well as the administration and management.
Activities can include but are not limited to:
- Observe, shadow, and assist doctors and nurses with their work
- Participate in patient care: comfort patients and assist in examining patients
- Observe, shadow and assist medics and paramedics at their work
- Provide ambulance support when needed
- Assist, teach and encourage prevention, hygiene and check-ups
- Assist developing educational materials and engagement strategies for various prevention programs using Multi-Media means
- Assist with improving hospital resources management and hospital waste management and administration
- Assist with domiciliary health services, assistance, hygiene and information
- Observe, shadow and develop skills in the field while assisting in delivering treatment, diagnosis, and health education to locals
- Spend time with specialists when available and if participants’skills allow
- Some volunteers may also choose to teach English to the doctors
- Current projects, which volunteers may wish to join, include: a zika information and prevention program andthe education of mothers-to-be on the importance of considering breast feeding as part of an ongoing UNICEF project.