The project provides an excellent opportunity for post-grads, students and individuals interested in getting more experience and knowledge in the field of marine mammal research.
You can expect to gain various skills and experience in:
· Conducting boat and land based marine mammal surveys
· Species identification
· Dolphin photo identification
· Behavioural data collection
· Theodolite surveys
· Software applications like DISCOVERY, LOGGER and PYTHAGORAS
· ArcGIS mapping
· Data manipulation and its analysis
· Peer-reviewed scientific publications
· Bird surveys
Training will be provided beforehand. The land surveys will be a min of twice a week and boat surveys will be once a week, depending on the weather. There will be an opportunity to undertake a personal research project and write a publication supervised by the project director.
The minimum duration of the placements is normally 2 complete months. We may make exceptions for potential participants to apply for a shorter placement.
This position requires a contribution fee of 600 euro per month, which covers the accommodation, equipment, all training (including ArcGIS) and working expenses for the participants.
We look forward to receiving your application!