Ogam dispensary is situated in the Lake Victoria region of western Kenya . The fishing business in the area and culture of inheriting widows also has led to high prevalence of HIV/AIDS in the area and its neighboring community. This necessitated the inception of the dispensary a medical doctor from the community.The center is run by a committee within the community.
It has helped in the reduction of infections and also treatment of the common ailments as well as help in the provision of antiretroviral drugs for distribution through various community health Workers in the villages.
The dispensary is still growing with services being introduced .
The facility lacks enough medical doctors due to the high number of patients from the community.
Volunteers will enjoy their time within their stay at the project, interacting with the local community and knowing their way of life.
- Bringing the healthcare services close to the community
- To curb the major prevalence of diseases that was common in the area such as malaria, typhoid
- Treating and dispensing of drugs
- Diagnosis and analysis of Various signs and symptoms
- Health Education
- Outreach program (mobile clinics)
- Antiretroviral Therapy
- Curative Outpatient Services
- Family Planning
- Growth Monitoring and Promotion
- HIV Counselling and Testing
- Prevention of Mother to Child transmission of HIV
Best attractions in the Area:
- Lake Victoria
- Kit mikai (gigantic rocks with traditional Tales) approximately 45 minutes drive
- Kisumu Museum