Your educational course in the US
At the Southern tip of the US State Florida you find about 200 coral islands which form the Florida Keys. Due to its length of almost 300 km the Florida Keys are the third biggest coral reef in the world, offering an amazing scenario of animals and colours. As a student in this course you will spend seven days aboard a research vessel on which you explore the Northern part of the Florida Keys and deepen your knowledge about the biology of sharks living in their tropical waters.
You arrive at Miami International Airport and make your way to the marina where the vessel is docked by taking public transport. After your arrival at the vessel you get to know your team and receive important safety instructions – after that, the actual project works begins. Usually, your day starts after breakfast at 8:30 am. Your student tasks involve shark handling and workup procedures, practising fishing methods (longlining, gillnetting, use of drumlines), capturing sharks of different sizes and learning techniques for minimizing shark capture stress. Theoretical lectures will be part of your schedule as well. The mix of theoretical and practical units offers you the chance to get to know a wide breadth of different topics in the fields of shark biology and ecology, marine conservation and field research methods.
During the course you will live and work aboard a modern research vessel. There are seven student cabins on board of which you will share one with another participant. Furthermore, the vessel has four bathrooms with hot water showers and you have access to electricity for light and charging mobile devices. A member of the cabin crew will prepare meals for you each day; you will be offered breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Age limit: Minimum age 18 years
- Start dates: 02 March 2019, 11 March 2019, 11 June 2019, 20 June 2019
- Project duration: 7 days
- Project location: Southern Florida / USA
- Accommodation: shared bedroom on a research vessel, shared bathrooms
- Language requirements: English (a good level of school English is sufficient)
- Suitable for:Wilderness Experience, sabbatical
- Certification: upon request
Fees: 2200 EUR
- Placement in the course
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Assistance with selecting travel insurance
- Assistance with booking flights
- Pre-departure information pack
- Accommodation during the course
- All meals during the course
- On-sites orientation and project training
- English speaking support by long-term experienced staff
- 24/7 support throughout the course