VSO Tajikistan conducted a pipeline scoping exercise in November and December of 2012 to assess the potential for the establishment of a Global Social Impact Investment fund by a consortium of six NGOs based in the UK. From that exercise four companies were identified with quality business plans that have significant potential to deliver a positive social impact. As Social impact Investment Adviser you will initially work with four companies (Correct, SUGDAGROSERV, Sharbat and Barkat-Isfara) from three areas of the Sughd Region of Tajikistan: Khujand, Panjakent and Isfara to advise and help them to develop.
What does the role involve?
- Investigate the economic conditions surrounding the companies and their business activities such as industry trends, competition, market volume, etc.
- Develop a situation analysis of the companies (SWOT analysis, etc).
- Support for the conducting of market research for the investment projects proposed by the companies
- Support the improving/preparing a detailed business-plans, which will include clear goals and objectives, and analysis of the social impact for the rural population
- Develop reporting methodologies and procedures for the companies which can accurately assess the potential social impact of the proposed investments
- Support the companies in preparing investment proposals, identifying potential funding organisations, pitching the business plan and, where necessary, negotiating investment
- If necessary, contact professional consultants such as finance, business and tax consultants to provide follow up trainings for staff members of the companies (subject to the companies having available funds for such consultants)
- Provide guidance and advice to additional companies as considered appropriate by VSO Tajikistan
- Provide input to VSO Tajikistan programme development as required
Skills, qualifications and experience required
- A degree in economics, business management or finance
- Significant broad experience in business development, marketing, investment and finance
- Writing business plans, including market analysis and budgeting
- Experience or understanding of attracting financial investment
- Good analytical skills
- Written and spoken fluency in English (to level of native)
- Facilitation and coaching skills
- Some knowledge of Russian or Farsi would be useful, as would previous experience of living in a developing country or multicultural environment
And the rest…
Khujand is the biggest city after Dushanbe with population of more than 182,000 people. It is a very nice and green city.. There are no specific security issues in Khujand, although care should be taken at night, especially in outlying areas.
We’ll ask you to commit to twelve months to make a sustainable contribution to our development goals. In return, we’ll give you comprehensive financial, personal and professional support. We'll provide you with extensive training before your placement, and our support package includes a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more. When you return to your home country, we'll help you to resettle and many of our returned volunteers stay involved with us long after their placement ends.