The Great African Sea Forest Marine Volunteer Programme, South Africa
Organisation: WorkingAbroad Projects
Country: South Africa
Type: Environment & Wildlife Conservation
Website: Find out more
Volunteers will be involved in citizen science initiatives where you will join biologists on snorkel trips observing and monitoring endemic fish and shark species along the Cape Peninsula, and collecting data and taking Photo IDs of the small shy shark species. You will be given presentations on the various work involved; including biological talks such as shark biology and ecology, and explore the benefits of using citizen science as a scientific monitoring effort.
False Bay is nestled in an area of spectacular beauty that features stunning beaches, incredible marine life and a mountainous backdrop – just 40 km from Cape Town City centre. The coast of South Africa is a well-known hot spot for marine diversity, boasting numerous shark, cetacean and fish species as well as the cape fur seals and endemic African penguins.
Activities volunteers will be involved with:
- Endemic fish and shark survey’s (snorkel)
- Kelp forest density and distribution fieldwork
- Microplastic sampling fieldwork
- Public outreach: Conservation education initiatives in local schools and at public events.
- Public events: beach cleans, public lectures, sea plastic cleaning events, kayak/paddleboard marine safaris
- Investigating intertidal rock pools
- Fish, Mollusc, shark, cetacean biology and ecology presentations
- Shark egg collection and recording
- Assist with local marine conservation and education museum curation
- Introduction to freediving (learn the basics of this skill to develop your snorkel surveys)
- Drop camera fish diversity fieldwork + video analysis
Being on the Cape Peninsula there are a whole host of activities right on your doorstep, also being just 40km from the City bowl of Cape Town there are numerous activities and tours to enjoy and explore. The house is also only 40km from the Winelands of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek for wine tasting trips and spectacular scenery.
For more details on how the programme works, dates, costs and how to apply, please visit our detailed project page here.