Your educational adventure in the USA
The ocean happens to be one of the biggest ecosystems on our planet and is home to a range of marine wildlife. At the Southern tip of the US state Florida you find about 200 coral islands, forming the Florida Keys. With its length of almost 300 km the Florida Keys are the third largest coral reef in the world. As a participant in this course the Florida Keys will be your home and work place for six days as you’ll be living on a research vessel, exploring the Keys’ Northern part and deepening your knowledge about the ecology of their tropical waters.
After your arrival at at Miami International Airport you take public transport to get to the marina where the vessel is docked. After meeting your entire team and receiving important safety instructions, the actual course work begins. Your day will usually start at 8:30 in the morning after breakfast. Your tasks involve snorkelling, fishing for and tagging sharks, identifying different fish species and planting new corals to help restore the reef. Theoretical lectures are supposed to teach you essential knowledge about marine biology and ecology. Due to the mix of theoretical and practical units you get the chance to familiarise yourself with a wide breadth of different topics in the field of ecosystems, research activities and conservation methods. Experienced conservationists will always instruct and assist you. Travel to the USA’s Southeast and experience an unforgettable adventure abroad!
During this course you will be living and working aboard a modern research vessel, exploring the Keys’ Northern part. On the vessel you will share a bedroom with one other participant. The boat also provides four bathrooms with hot water showers as well as electricity for light and charging mobile devices. Meals are prepared by a member of the cabin crew – you will receive breakfast, lunch and dinner each day.
- Age limit: Minimum age 18 years
- Start dates: 03 June 2019
- Duration: 6 days
- Project location: Southern Florida/USA
- Accommodation: shared bedroom on a vessel, shared bathrooms, three meals per day provided
- Language requirements: English (a good level of school English is sufficient)
- Suitable for: Wilderness Experience, sabbatical
- Certification: upon request
Fees: 1750 EUR
- Placement in the course
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Assistance with selecting travel insurance
- Assistance with booking flights
- Pre-departure information pack
- Accommodation during the course
- All meals during the course
- On-sites orientation and project training
- English speaking support by long-term experienced staff
- 24/7 support throughout the course