Volunteering in the Sunshine State
The wildlife sanctuary relies on the help of volunteer workers to sustain and expand what is a lifelong refuge for so many animals. By participating in this project, you will find that you will grow and rise to the challenge. Let yourself be carried away by the optimism of the Sunshine Staters and spend an unforgettable time in Florida. You can play an active part on the ground and make a valuable contribution to animal welfare.
During your stay in Florida, you will work up to 8 hours a day. Minor chores are carried out on Sundays. The diverse tasks include preparing the food and feeding the animals, cleaning and maintaining the enclosures and the grounds, as well as assisting with veterinary care. In order to ensure that you have a safe and instructive time, the local coordinators will supply you with curricula and training materials. Direct contact with the animals is forbidden, on the one hand for safety reasons and on the other hand out of consideration for the condition of the animals. The wildlife sanctuary also hosts groups of visitors to raise awareness and inform about animal care and welfare.
It is an unbelievable feeling when – with time and care – you realise the animals are starting to regain confidence and strength. The unique surroundings, the international contacts, the mutual work and the growing success will give you a feeling of utter satisfaction, which you will never forget.
You will be based near the wildlife sanctuary in Silver Springs. You will lodge in furnished accommodation together with other volunteers. Men and women live in separate buildings. The kitchen and washing facilities are available at all times. In the accommodation you will find a toilet, hot shower, electricity, air-conditioning, television and DVD player, as well as a WLAN connection which you can use for your laptop or other WLAN-enabled devices. Food will be provided but you will have to prepare it. You can cook together with the other volunteers in the kitchen.
- Age limit: Minimum age 18 years
- Duration: 4/6/8/10/12 weeks
- Start dates: flexible/upon request
- Project location: near Silver Springs / Florida
- Accommodation: shared accommodation
- Language requirements: English
- Suitable for: volunteering, sabbatical, time off
- Certification: yes
- Placement in the project
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Assistance with selecting travel insurance
- Assistance with booking flights
- Pre-departure information pack
- Projects are led by experienced supervisors
- Accommodation during the project
- All meals during the project – volunteers help to cook
- On-site orientation and project training
- English-speaking support by long-term experienced staff
- 24/7-support throughout the project
Fees: 4 weeks: 1.650 EUR | 6 weeks: 2.350 EUR | 8 weeks: 3.000 EUR | 10 weeks: 3.600 EUR | 12 weeks: 4.150 EUR