California has plenty to offer for nature lovers. The state has nine National Parks, including the towering trees of Redwood National Park, the desert landscape of Death Valley National Park and, of course, Yosemite. Your base station close to the Big Basin State Park is where you will start your time in the most beautiful parts of California. In between project time you will get the chance to go on road trips to visit the highlights of the Golden State and its neighbours along with your fellow team members.
What you will do as part of this project
Your stay will begin with an intensive safety course and training which will show you how to use your tools properly. You will then spend eight days away on each project with six days off in between each project unit. Each international team of 8-12 members will work on different tasks, focusing on trail building and maintenance work, removing invasive plant species and erosion control. You will work no longer than 10 hours per day. However, please be aware that physical work can be extremely challenging and uncertain weather.
You will stay in tents, either in the wilderness or on camping sites with washing facilities. We will provide the tent no matter where you end up spending the night. Meals are all included in the price and are prepared by the team. You will return to your base after every project and will have six days off for your own activities.
A volunteer accommodation, located in the Redwood forests between Boulder Creek and the Big Basin State Park, will be your base in between projects. You will stay in a house with shared rooms, shared bathrooms, a kitchen and Wi-Fi. This will give you the opportunity to spend your free time with the international volunteers from around the world and discover the region together. Everybody is responsible for feeding themselves in the downtime between projects.
- Age limit: Minimum age 18 years
- Dates 2019: 09 March – 04 May, 04 May – 29 June, 29 June – 24 August, 24 August – 19 October
- Duration: 8 weeks
- Project location: Northern California, between Boulder Creek and the Big Basin State Park
- Accommodation: Shared house, tents during projects
- Language requirements: English (a good level of school English is sufficient)
- Suitable for: volunteer work, sabbatical
- Certification: upon request
- Price for eight weeks 1.800 EUR
- Assistance with selecting travel insurance
- Placement in the project
- Assistance with travel planning
- Transfer from San Francisco Airport to volunteer accommodation
- Transfer to the projects
- English language support provided during the project
- Projects are led by experienced supervisors
- Around the clock support for the duration of the project
- Tent accommodation during projects
- Shared house during free time
- You will be responsible for preparing meals during the projects