Voluntary work in Thailand – Protecting Street Dogs and Cats
The double island of Ko Lanta, in the south of Thailand, comprises the larger and more lively island of Ko Lanta Yai and the quieter island of Ko Lanta Noi. The islands have escaped the effects of mass tourism to date, so that it is still quite tranquil here. Ko Lanta tantalises with its extensive white sandy beaches that extend shallowly into a clear ocean with comfortably warm water.
Ko Lanta was severely affected by the tsunami from 2004, but thanks to the extensive restoration work, there is very little damage to be seen today. Only the large number of stray cats and dogs serve as a reminder of the restoration work, during which numerous labourers brought their animals with them and abandoned them after their departure.
This is why a project for the protection of the stray animals was started in 2005. The Animal Sterilization Center looks after the abandoned animals and with a comprehensive neutering programme, it counteracts the continued reproduction.
What you will do as part of this project
The voluntary work in the animal protection project on Ko Lanta comprises the entire care of the animals. Your typical tasks on site include taking the dogs for walks along the beach and the washing of the animals and the cleaning of their kennels. Feeding them and administering them with medication are also a part of the daily routine. You will also repeatedly participate in tours over the island, in order to find and care for animals that are in need. Last but not least, playing with and cuddling the kittens will be a regular part of your daily agenda. If you are a trainee or qualified veterinary surgeon, you can also work in the attached veterinary clinic.
The volunteers work a six-day week on diverse shifts. You shall be working a night shift per working week, that is between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.. As your regular dayshifts vary between an early shift and a late shift (7 a.m.-1 p.m. or 1 p.m.-7 p.m.), you will have enough time to enjoy your destination to the full.
The aid programme provides you with simple accommodation, that you share with another person or with your travel companion. The room has a bathroom with a cold water shower, that ensure a refreshing cooling down in the tropical heat of Thailand´s climate. Furthermore, a fan provides additional cooling.
The very simple accommodation is located direct on the project site and has WLAN. During the project, you will receive breakfast and lunch from Monday through Friday. The rest of the time you will care for yourself. You hereby have the opportunity of being able to prepare yourself something in the shared kitchen in the centre, or you can resort to inexpensive food offered by the restaurant and street markets.
- Age limit: Minimum age 18 years
- Start date: Dates upon request
- Duration: 4/8 weeks
- Project location: Ko Lanta / Thailand
- Accommodation: Room with bedrooms for two people
- Language requirements: English (a good level of school English is sufficient)
- Suitable for: volunteer work, sabbatical
- Certification: upon request
- Placement in the project
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Assistance with selecting travel insurance
- Assistance with booking flights
- Accommodation during the project incl. off days
- Monday through Friday: breakfast and lunch
- A Thai cookery course and diverse discounts in restaurants
- English-speaking support by long-term experienced staff
- 24/7-support throughout the project
- Price for four weeks 550 EUR
- Price for eight weeks 625 EUR