Birding Course in Southern Africa
Instead of focusing on the bush and the Big Five as you would with a traditional safari, you will focus on the smaller residents of the African wilderness. The birding course gives you an opportunity to find out how to identify different birds based on their appearance and call, or to deepen your existing knowledge. In addition to some theoretical groundwork, most of your activity during the course will be a practical nature. There is no need to be a fanatical birder to take part. The course is suitable for people with any level of expertise and will be an enriching experience which will make you aware of the details of the African wilderness. The one-week course will take you through the African wilderness on foot and in off-road vehicles to gather interesting new insights into the ecosystem.
Your accommodation for the duration of the birding course in Southern Africa will be in either stilt houses (Makuleke) or two-man tents (Mashatu, Selati, Karongwe). When staying in Makuleke you will have access to your own bathroom attached to the stilt house. Shared bathrooms are available in the other camps. All camps have a large common room for training, eating together and spending evenings with the group. The camps are not fenced in, and tourists have no access to the site. This gives you a special connection to the natural environment and allows you to enjoy the remoteness of your location.
- Age limit: Minimum age 18 years
- Duration: 7 days
- Start dates:
2018: 17.09. | 13.10. | 04.11. | 29.11.
2019: 27.02. | 04.03. | 01.04. | 27.08.| 01.10. | 30.10. | 29.11.
- Project location:South Africa/Botswana
- Accommodation: stilt house / two-man tent with own or shared bathroom
- Language requirements: English (a good level of school English is sufficient)
- Suitable for: sabbatical, time off
- Certification: yes
- Placement in the course
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Assistance with selecting travel insurance
- Assistance with booking flights
- Pre-departure information pack
- Accommodation during the course
- All meals during the course
- Drinking water
- Game walks, game drives
- Classroom hours
- Transport between campsites (South Africa/Botswana)
- English-speaking support by long-term experienced staff
- 24/7-support throughout the course
Fees: 1000 EUR
(Fees depend on the exchange rate of the South African Rand or US dollar)