Wildlife conservation and community volunteer projects and internships worldwide

Amazon Research and Conservation Volunteer & Internship Project, Peru

2+ Weeks from

minimum age

  • Experience the remote Amazon rainforest and its tropical wildlife
  • Learn from passionate conservationists and scientists about the Amazon
  • Contribute actively to important Amazon conservation efforts
  • Meet people from around the World living in this beautiful remote location

Project Costs 

Juvenile Brown Capuchin

The cost for the research programmes for  2 weeks is £1127, 3 weeks is £1361, 1 month (30 days) is £1819, 2 months (60 days) is £3057 and 3 months (90 days) is £3961. Please email us for prices on other durations.

The costs for the Conservation Pandemic Relief Task Force programme is £1,387 for 4 weeks.

This covers all programme costs, including all food (3 large, wholesome meals a day), clean drinking water at all times, lodging in town and in the field, project materials, boat transport to and from lodges, Puerto Maldonado airport collection and departure transfers, all training and supervision by project manager, WorkingAbroad Projects backup and placement support.

The airfare to Peru and the internal airfare/bus to Puerto Maldonado, travel/medical insurance and personal expenses are not included within this price.  It is mandatory for you to take out travel and medical insurance for the duration of the project.

Payment Terms 

If you are interested in volunteering in Peru’s Amazon Basin, you will need to fill out the online application form (you can also print it out and send it to us by post) – to secure a placement on the project, please complete and submit the form including your application payment of £195. If for some reason, your application is not accepted, we will reimburse this payment fully. However for those who are accepted, 10% of the full amount needs to be paid within 10 days of being confirmed on the project, with the remainder (90%) to be paid one month before departure. Once you have been accepted on the programme, you will receive an Information Package with all detailed information on your project, Peru, suggested items to bring etc.


Project Dates

Volunteers need to arrive in Puerto Maldonado on a Monday to facilitate training and introduction together the following day, and leave Puerto Maldonado on a Sunday. Volunteers can arrive on the first or third Monday every month throughout the year.

Accommodation can be sorted (from about $10/night) in town in case of arrival earlier than Monday or later departures than Sunday. However, in case of early arrival, airport pick-up is no longer included and the volunteer will be responsible for getting from the airport/bus station to the house themselves.

For field research internships, the minimum duration is 1 month, but you are welcome to extend for 2, 3, 4 months up to 6 months in duration. For interns, we can be more flexible on the arrival date, but recommend to arrive on a Monday as well, so training can be done alongside other volunteers and interns.

** Please note! The short-term volunteer research programmes are currently suspended due to Covid-19 reasons for the remainder of 2021. Long-term interns who would like to do their own research project in relation to a university degree can still join before this, which we will review on a case-by-case basis. ** 

Please email victoria.mcneil@workingabroad.com for further details or any questions about dates. You can stay more than 6 months, but please enquire about this beforehand.

Amazon Research and Conservation Volunteer & Internship Project, Peru

You may also be interested in these projects

  • Orangutan Conservation Volunteer Project, Indonesia

    • Duration 3 Weeks
    • Prices from £1575

    Join the Borneo Orangutan Conservation project in Indonesia as a volunteer, and assist a project in the forefront of rainforest and wildlife conservation efforts in this region. Work in a vast rainforest that is home to diverse wildlife, including the largest lowland orangutan population in the world, and contribute to their future protection.


  • Cloud Forest Conservation & Sustainability Volunteer Project, Ecuador

    • Duration 1-12 Weeks
    • Prices from £400

    Become an environmental volunteer in Ecuador to conserve a part of the Ecuadorian Cloud Forest and get involved in reforestation, organic agriculture, sustainable living and building projects, and Capuchin Monkey research.

WE ARE OPEN!     Click here for our Covid Flexible Policy - Where can I Volunteer in Covid 19     [Hide Notice]