Wildlife conservation and community volunteer projects and internships worldwide

Conservation Volunteering in New Zealand

1-12 Weeks from

£480
18+
minimum age

  • Experience beautiful natural environments including remote areas
  • Work alongside a team of volunteers from around the world
  • Learn about conservation issues in New Zealand
  • Gain practical conservation skills training and support

Project Costs

Volunteers at Kiwi Park in New ZealandThe cost for the conservation volunteering programme for 1 week is £480, 2 weeks is £780, 3 weeks is £1080, 4 weeks is £1380 and each extra week is £300**. This covers all food and accommodation costs (including weekends), all in-country travel (once you are at the project meeting point), project support, guidebooks and training. Your airfare to New Zealand and your transportation to the project start point to and from the airport, travel/medical insurance, visas and personal expenses including laundry are not included in the cost. It is mandatory for you to take out travel and medical insurance for the duration of the project.

**This is the cost for all locations, except Punakaiki, which is £520 for 1 week and £340 for each additional week.

Please email the volunteer coordinator for any questions you may have about pricing, itineraries or dates for these projects.

Payment Terms

Volunteers walking in river in New ZealandTo secure your placement on the project, you will need to fill out the online application form including your application payment of £180 (included in the total project costs listed above). If for some reason, your application is not accepted, we would reimburse this payment fully. However, for those who are accepted, 15% of the full amount needs to be paid within 14 days of being confirmed on the project, with the remainder (85%) to be paid one month before departure. If you apply with under 4 week’s notice, the full payment is due in full on confirmation. Once your place is confirmed on the programme, you will receive pre-departure information with all details on your project, travel info, suggested items to bring and so on.

Project Dates

Please note that you can join the main volunteering programme on dates other than those specified below, as long as you are volunteering for a minimum of 1 week. You can nominate any Friday throughout the year as your preferred starting date, and you can choose to start your project from a range of locations around New Zealand. You will need to arrive at the location you have nominated by 11 am on that Friday. Punakaiki only runs on the specified dates.

StartEndAvailability
October 7th 2022 October 14th 2022 Punakaiki
October 7th 2022 October 21st 2022
October 21st 2022 November 4th 2022
November 4th 2022 November 11th 2022 Punakaiki
November 4th 2022 November 18th 2022
November 18th 2022 December 2nd 2022
December 2nd 2022 December 9th 2022 Punakaiki
December 2nd 2022 December 16th 2022
December 16th 2022 December 23rd 2022
January 13th 2023 January 27th 2023
January 27th 2023 February 10th 2023
February 10th 2023 February 17th 2023 Punakaiki
February 10th 2023 February 24th 2023
February 24th 2023 March 10th 2023
March 3rd 2023 March 10th 2023 Punakaiki
March 10th 2023 March 24th 2023
March 24th 2023 April 14th 2023
April 14th 2023 April 21st 2023 Punakaiki
April 14th 2023 April 28th 2023
April 28th 2023 May 12th 2023
May 5th 2023 May 12th 2023 Punakaiki
May 12th 2023 May 26th 2023
Conservation Volunteering in New Zealand

You may also be interested in these projects

  • Amazon Research and Conservation Volunteer & Internship Project, Peru

    • Duration 2+ Weeks
    • Prices from £1127

    Volunteer or intern in Peru and have the rare opportunity to work alongside and learn from expert biologists and conservationists about the forest, tropical wildlife and conservation efforts in the deep Amazon rainforest.

  • Kiwi Conservation Volunteer & Internship Project, New Zealand

    • Duration 2 Weeks+
    • Prices from £780

    Volunteer in New Zealand and help to preserve the native forest and kiwi birds of the Kauri Coast. Explore an undiscovered forest while learning about conservation and wilderness skills.

  • Cloud Forest Conservation & Sustainability Volunteer Project, Ecuador

    • Duration 1-12 Weeks
    • Prices from £400

    Become an environmental volunteer in Ecuador to conserve a part of the Ecuadorian Cloud Forest and get involved in reforestation, organic agriculture, sustainable living and building projects, and Capuchin Monkey and large mammal research.

  • Looking for a Volunteer Project Abroad?
    Try our Project Finder

    WorkingAbroad is the Go-To Website for Ethical & Responsible Volunteer & Internship Opportunities Abroad

    We run volunteer programmes in over 30 countries across the world focusing on wildlife conservation and community development projects and every project we offer adheres to our ethical standards.