Wildlife conservation, community and environmental volunteer projects and internships worldwide

Volunteer at the Jane Goodall Chimpanzee Sanctuary in South Africa

4 Days - 2 Weeks from

minimum age

  • Volunteer at the only Chimpanzee sanctuary in South Africa
  • Help to conserve and protect rescued chimpanzees and support their welfare
  • Learn about chimpanzees and global conservation efforts to protect this endangered species
  • Live and work alongside a team of volunteers from around the world

Project Costs

Mother and baby chimps in South AfricaThe cost to join the project for 4 days (3 nights) is £495, 1 week (6 nights) is £745, and 2 weeks (13 nights) costs £1395. We can also offer a discounted rate for registered students, so please email us if you are interested. These costs include all accommodation, food (typically 3 meals per day), teas & coffees, sanctuary activities such as walks and tours, transfers to and from Nelspruit to the sanctuary, and pre-departure support form WorkingAbroad.

What’s not included are your flights to and from South Africa, your transportation to Nelspruit, visa costs, travel insurance, and personal expenses (e.g. snacks, souvenirs and any extra excursions you might wish to arrange for example, Kruger national park and panorama route).

Payment Terms

Baby chimpanzee on grass in South AfricaTo secure your placement on the project, you will need to complete and submit the application form with your application payment of £195 (included in the total project costs listed above). If for some reason your application is not accepted, we will reimburse this payment fully. However, for those who are accepted, 25% of the remaining balance amount needs to be paid within 7 days of your booking being confirmed, and the remaining 75% to be paid at least two months before departure. Once your place is confirmed, you will receive a pre-departure package with detailed information on your project and the volunteer work you will be doing, travel info, suggested items to bring and much more.

Project Dates

You can join this project for a minimum of 4 days (3 nights), up to a maximum of 2 weeks (13 nights). We can be flexible with start/end dates, however, if possible we recommend for all volunteers to arrive to Nelspruit on a Monday to begin their project. The dates below are listed as a guide, but please contact us if you have any questions about dates.

Start End Availability
January 27th 2020 February 9th 2020
February 10th 2020 February 23rd 2020
February 24th 2020 March 8th 2020
March 9th 2020 March 22nd 2020
March 23rd 2020 April 5th 2020
April 6th 2020 April 19th 2020
April 20th 2020 May 3rd 2020
May 4th 2020 May 17th 2020
May 18th 2020 May 31st 2020
June 1st 2020 June 14th 2020
June 15th 2020 June 28th 2020
June 29th 2020 July 12th 2020
July 13th 2020 July 26th 2020
July 27th 2020 August 9th 2020
August 10th 2020 August 23rd 2020
August 24th 2020 September 6th 2020
September 7th 2020 September 20th 2020
September 21st 2020 October 4th 2020
October 5th 2020 October 18th 2020
October 19th 2020 November 1st 2020
November 2nd 2020 November 15th 2020
November 16th 2020 November 29th 2020
November 30th 2020 December 13th 2020
December 14th 2020 December 27th 2020
December 28th 2020 January 10th 2021
Volunteer at the Jane Goodall Chimpanzee Sanctuary in South Africa

You may also be interested in these projects

  • Orangutan Conservation Volunteer Project, Indonesia

    • Duration 3 Weeks
    • Prices from £1575

    Join the Borneo Orangutan Conservation project in Indonesia as a volunteer, and assist a project in the forefront of rainforest and wildlife conservation efforts in this region. Work in a vast rainforest that is home to diverse wildlife, including the largest lowland orangutan population in the world, and contribute to their future protection.


  • Wildlife Reserve Volunteer Programme, South Africa

    • Duration 2 - 12 Weeks
    • Prices from £895

    Volunteer at a wildlife reserve in South Africa. A true bush experience which gives volunteers a chance to live amongst and help to protect a range of amazing wildlife species.

  • Wildlife Rescue Volunteer Project, Costa Rica

    • Duration 2-12 weeks
    • Prices from £195

    Opportunities for volunteers and interns to work with rescued animals, whilst also having the opportunity to learn Spanish, and take yoga and surf lessons.

  • Big Cat Sanctuary Volunteer Project, South Africa

    • Duration 2-12 Weeks
    • Prices from £1065

    Volunteer at an ethical big cat Sanctuary in South Africa. Contribute towards animal welfare whilst learning about the conditions big cats face in captivity.