Food, Lodging and Travel
You will be based in the picturesque north-east, away from most mainstream tourism. The area is a windswept piece of paradise and boasts a number of uninhabited offshore islands surrounded by teeming coral reefs.
The accommodation is cosy: comprised of a solid concrete built house with 3 basic bedrooms, 2 shared bathrooms (no hot water) and a large balcony with breathtaking ocean views. Volunteers are housed in single sex rooms, with beds/futons and pillows provided. Linen and towels are not provided. The house has a fridge/freezer, gas cooker, telephone (for incoming calls only) and 220 & 110V electricity supply. There is also a shared fan in each room (no A/C). We do not provide mosquito nets but please feel free to bring your own if necessary. There is limited shared WiFi but be aware it can be unreliable.
Cooking duty is rotated and meals are prepared using seasonal, local produce. Although limited, the produce is delicious and we offer a number of recipes for you to pick from. All food is vegetarian*, breakfast and lunch are ‘help yourself’ and dinner is a cooked meal and social affair, attended by everyone on the project.
*For those who cannot do without meat, past volunteers have chipped in to buy meat to cook in addition to the vegetarian evening meal.
- Age 17+ years
- Willing and prepared to work in tough weather conditions
- Ability to walk 2-3 miles on soft sand in the heat
- Previous experience is not necessary as training will be provided
- A good team player
- We do also accept families with kids over 13 yrs on a case by case basis
Time Off & Recommended Activities
Volunteers receive one day off each week, but you will find that some rotated tasks only take a few hours leaving you with the rest of the day free. In your spare time, there are so many incredible activities to try and hidden gems to visit. We’ve listed just a few to give you a taste of the fun you’ll have:
- SCUBA diving – Good rates are offered to those looking to learn and get their diving certificate. For the experienced divers, magnificent wrecks, like Bianca C, are waiting for you (all dive centres are located in the south of the island).
- Snorkelling – you can pop over to Sandy Island, a small uninhabited island, and a hawksbill nesting site, just one mile from the mainland. We also arrange overnight trips (bring your hammocks!).
- Rum and organic chocolate factories.
- Hot springs, lakes and waterfalls.
- Rainforest trails.
- River Tubing.
- Historical tours of the capital and local forts.
- Local markets.
- Visit the Sister Isle of Carriacou.
UK, US, Canada, Commonwealth countries and other EU passport holders do not require a visa to travel to Grenada as a tourist. Your passport must be valid with more than 6 months remaining and a return ticket is required for all passport holders. Entry is permitted for 90 days only, should you plan to stay longer please speak with us before booking any tickets.
Health, Weather, Facilities
The physical conditions of the volunteer work are tough but achievable. The main challenge of sea turtle conservation work is remaining awake for periods throughout the night and walking long distances on sand. The key is making enough time to relax and catch up on your sleep. Sun lotion is not optional and a sun hat is essential for day work. You are advised to drink plenty of water (tap water is safe).
Grenada enjoys good weather throughout the year. Average temperatures are between 25 and 30℃. The dry season is between January and May and the rainy season between June and December. For more detail, have a look here.
Banks, post offices and internet cafes can be found in Sauteurs and Grenville (10 and 20 minutes bus journey away respectively).
Travel from UK/Europe – direct flights to Grenada are available with British Airways and Virgin Atlantic. Flights via Trinidad, Barbados or the US are available with BWIA, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways and American Airlines.
Travel from US/Canada – flights to Grenada are available with American Airlines and Air Canada. Seasonal charter flights may be in operation, please check with your travel agent.