Wildlife conservation and community volunteer projects and internships worldwide

Wildlife Rescue & Rehab Internship Programme, Costa Rica

1-20 weeks from

£515
18+
minimum age

  • Work with rescued wildlife in the Costa Rican jungle
  • Learn from wildlife vets about how to take care of injured wildlife
  • Assist in mission to protect and restore Costa Rica’s biodiversity
  • The largest centre of its kind, offering everyone a unique experience

tapir costa ricaProject Costs

You can join the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Internship Programme for 1 up to 20 weeks throughout the year.  A 2 week commitment is preferred, so that you get to experience the full programme, but one week will also be accepted if you have limited time.  The cost to join this programme for 1 week is £515, 2 weeks is £835, 3 weeks is £1135, 4 weeks is £1435, 5 weeks is £1815, 6 weeks is £2200, 8 weeks is £2960 and 12 weeks is £4400.  Please email for costs for other durations.

Note:  Anyone joining for 4 weeks or more will get to spend at least 1 night out at our 1,800 acre dry tropical reserve on the Nicoya peninsula as part of the programme fee.

What’s Included?

  • Accommodation
  • Breakfast foods (milk, cereal, fruit, coffee, tea) are provided. Volunteers prepare their own breakfast.
  • Prepared lunch and dinner
  • Linens
  • Training
  • WorkingAbroad Project support

What’s not Included?

  • Flights or other transportation to Costa Rica
  • Airport transfer to and from SJO airport (7.30am to 8pm) this will cost 20 USD for the pickup and 10 USD for the return.
  • Insurance
  • Visa costs
  • Medical care

Payment Terms

To secure your placement on the project, you will need to complete and submit the application form with your application payment of £195 (included in the total project costs listed above). If for some reason, your application is not accepted, we will reimburse this payment fully. However, for those who are accepted, you will need to pay 25% of the balance within 14 days of being accepted on the programme, with the remaining 75% of the balance to be paid two months before arrival. Once we have confirmed your place, you will receive a pre-departure package with all detailed information on the project, Costa Rica, suggested items to bring etc.

Chesnut toucanProject Dates

Interns should arrive on a Friday after 7.30AM and the programme will start on Saturday at 9AM.  Please arrange to leave by Thursday at noon on your chosen departure date.  Dates run all year round, and you can start on any Friday throughout the year.  If your preferred dates are not listed below, you can still apply and state your desired start date in the motivation letter section. Please email us at victoria.mcneil@workingabroad.com  or for any other questions.

StartEndAvailability
August 26th 2022 September 8th 2022
September 2nd 2022 September 15th 2022
September 9th 2022 September 22nd 2022
September 23rd 2022 October 6th 2022
October 7th 2022 October 20th 2022
October 21st 2022 November 3rd 2022
November 4th 2022 November 17th 2022
November 18th 2022 December 1st 2022
December 2nd 2022 December 15th 2022
December 16th 2022 December 29th 2022
December 30th 2022 January 12th 2023
January 13th 2023 January 26th 2023
January 27th 2023 February 9th 2023
February 10th 2023 February 23rd 2023
February 24th 2023 March 9th 2023
March 10th 2023 March 23rd 2023
Wildlife Rescue & Rehab Internship Programme, Costa Rica

You may also be interested in these projects

  • Wildlife Rescue Internship Project, Canada

    • Duration 4 weeks-6 Months
    • Prices from £195

    Join a team of passionate animal husbandry professionals in the field and get hands-on experience in a wildlife rehabilitation centre that specialises in the treatment, care and release of sick, injured and orphaned Canadian native mammal species including black bear, raccoon, river otter, beaver and more.

  • Wildlife Rescue Volunteer Project, Costa Rica

    • Duration 4-12 weeks
    • Prices from £195

    Opportunities for volunteers and interns to work with rescued animals, with the objective to release them back into the wild.

  • Playa Tortuga Conservation Volunteer Project, Costa Rica

    • Duration 1 week to 6 months
    • Prices from £445

    Volunteer in Costa Rica and live and work in a biological research station and take part in sea turtle, butterfly, caiman, crocodile, tree boa, monkey and mammal research and environmental education.

  • Olive Ridley Sea Turtle Volunteer Programme, Costa Rica

    • Duration 11 days -12 weeks
    • Prices from £610

    Volunteer in Costa Rica and become a sea turtle volunteer, helping to conserve and protect the populations of vulnerable Olive Ridleys. Located on the spectacular Pacific coast where Olive Ridley turtles come up in thousands at a time for this phenomenon of nature called ‘arribadas’.